Monday 17 January 2011

Ding sees off Williams


The Ladbrokes Mobile Masters had been bowed out by former world champion Mark Williams in the initial round as he suffered a 6-4 defeat to Ding Junhui.

In start both players was facing difficult to find form in a low quality game at Wembley Arena but China's world number four established a 5-2 advantage.

To reduce the deficit to 5-4 next two frames had been won by world number three Williams. However, the left-hander from Cwm was made to pay for missing a chance to square the contest in the 10th frame as Ding booked his place in the second round.

Ding said afterwards: "Mark played well to come back to 5-4 so I had to stay strong.
"I've played him a few times this season and he has beaten me, so it's good for my confidence to beat him.

"I don't want to think about winning the tournament, I just want to relax and think about the next round."

Williams said: "It was a good match. There were a couple of frames that could have gone either way, and if I'd won them it could have been different.
"I thought I had him when I got to 5-4, but he made a good break in the end."

No comments: